Education isn’t just about reading, writing and arithmetic. Being moneysmart is important to your future, too! At CTCU, we want to give you a head start on financial success with good money habits through our Youth Club and CTCU REAL Checking Account for teens.
Super Savers Youth Club - Ages Birth to 12
Harness the power of our Super Savers Youth Club at CTCU! Here’s our mission: To help you learn about saving money and heroic money habits while having fun. So don’t wait to swoop in on the action, including:
New Membership Punch Card– With each deposit of $5.00 or more, you’ll receive a “punch” on your card. After five deposits, you can cash in the card for a prize.
New Membership Power Pack– Upon opening your account, you’ll receive a WELCOME POWER PACK filled with goodies and financial literacy information.
Quarterly Coloring Contest– Put your super coloring powers to work for the chance to win $10.00.
Enter our current contest! Find out more information here!
Super Days– Watch for information on our “Super Days” featuring exciting financial activities, games and prizes.
How to Turn into a Super Saver
- Must be age 12 or under (all youth 12 and under who already have a CTCU account are automatic Super Savers)
- Account can be opened with just a $20.00 deposit^
- Youth birth certificate and Social Security number are required
- Parent/Guardian must be on the account
^Child must meet eligibility requirements. Account earns dividends of 0.50% Annual Percentage Rate with a 0.50% Annual Percentage Yield. Minimum balance of $100.00 to earn dividends.
REAL Checking Account - Ages 13-18*
A CTCU REAL Checking Account is a great first checking account. There are no checks to buy – you access your money with a REAL debit card that you can use at ATMs and anywhere Mastercard is accepted. It’s faster and safer than using cash.
Perks for You
- No minimum or maximum balance – it’s just $5.00 to open the account
- Over 30,000 surcharge-free ATMs
- Easily manage money through free mobile and online banking
- Pay friends using mobile person-to-person (P2P) tool
- No monthly service fee
- Free Mastercard debit card and temporary checks each month**
- Free, real-time transfers between accounts
- NCUA insured to at least $250,000.00
- Free E-Statements, emails and text alerts (required with this account)
- Quarterly contest and perks for actively using your account
- Free Financial Literacy Seminars and online resources
- Annual (one-time) financial forgiveness for NSF (“Oops” coupon***) Perks for Your Parents
- Hands-on financial experience for young adults
- Parental guidance
- Ability to set up automatic allowance
- Free online banking
- Opportunity to monitor/view all spending
- Ability to transfer money between parent and student accounts
- Options that allow parents to control daily spending limits
- Automatic notifications sent via text alerts to parents if account reaches a predetermined balance
- Optional Overdraft Protection from a parent’s/ guardian’s CTCU savings account****
*At the time of account opening, you must be at least 13 years old and not older than 18 years old. Upon reaching the age of 19, you must switch to an age-appropriate checking account. You are required to enroll in online banking, including E-Statements (electronic statements). You will not receive paper statements. You will be issued a debit card. You will not be issued paper checks. You are not allowed to obtain checks for this account, nor are you allowed to write checks against this account. Use of this account is restricted to the primary account holder, who must be under the age of 19.
**Temporary checks will only be issued upon request to a student with a parent’s/guardian’s (co-signer’s) permission.
***Earn an “Oops” coupon for successful completion of our online course.
****A fee applies with Overdraft Protection.